Monday, September 21, 2009

Teaching and Water Polo

I am teaching one 80 minute block each day of economics, and helping cover classes for absent teachers. Making lesson plans for each period has been a headache, so far. I know how much time I need to fill, but estimating how long each activity will take is hit or miss at the moment. I am having trouble gauging how much homework to give, how to grade it, and how challenging to make quizzes and tests. I hear after the first year it gets easier, but I spend about two hours each night working on class for the next day.

On Sunday the 13th, the water polo team had its first scrimmage of the year. We drove down to Rutgers, New Brunswick early that morning, played a game against a team comprised of Army club players, Rutgers club players, and some of our own players. It was fun to see, but it was hard to get an impression of the team, considering the opponent. This last Wednesday, we had our first real game. It was at home, against a high school from Pennsylvania. We had a good start in the first quarter with a couple early goals, but fell apart in the second quarter. Down by four goals in the third period, we rallied to a 15-14 victory! I know the general rules of water polo, but really need to see some games before I feel comfortable leading a team – thankfully I will not have those responsibilities unless, as coach Cassidy jokingly pointed out, he gets ejected. We have games at home on Monday the 21st, and Wednesday the 23rd. This Friday we will be going to a tournament, lasting until Saturday. We lost our game today – 14-12. Hopefully it will motivate the team to get focused and practice harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment